WP1: E-CORNER SPECIFICATIONS
Start month 1 - End month 14
The preliminary requirements and specifications of the DoW, used during the preparation of the proposal,
will be defined in detail by PIN, in order to establish the required performance of the EUNICE solution and the
acceptance criteria for different aspects. The baseline E-corner option is air cooled with wheel integrated power
electronics and motor, proposed in order to develop a solution that would meet the above stated performance
requirements while responding to the proposal objectives. The mentioned baseline is to be assessed and evaluated
during this WP, using multi domain simulation and optimization tools (theoretical assessment). If the optimisation
of the baseline concept is not able to meet the requirements, a series of alternatives will be evaluated, until an
acceptable motor in wheel solution is achieved, taking into account performance, vehicle dynamics-driveability,
safety, endurance and user acceptance. To summarize, the main objectives of this WP are:
- To define in detail the specifications and performance of the EUNICE solution, oriented to a B-segment type vehicle.
- To perform a functional analysis of each of the sub-modules that will integrate the e-corner, in order to define the
basic requirements for their design.
- To analyze the EUNICE proposed baseline design and alternatives, based in their performance and their fulfilment of the
- To select the best concept which will be developed in the following WP´s.
- To continue the patent study, covering all the components that will be developed within the project.
WP2: Electrical components
Start month 10 - End month 29
This work-package is committed to the development and manufacturing of the electrical components of the e-corner, the e-motor, and
power electronics, together with their related sub-systems such as cooling system and safety system. These components will be designed,
manufactured and evaluated. Their design will follow the eco-design guidelines, from WP1. Also, LCA, material benchmarking and
dismantling/recycling of the rare earths, will be analysed when designing the e-motor. In detail, the objectives of this work-package
- To design the e-motor and power electronics, following an effective eco-design guidelines.
- To develop the cooling system, specific for the e-motor and power electronics.
- To develop the optimum motor control strategy for the E-corner application.
- To manufacture the e-motor and power electronic components.
- To assemble the sub-system, and to carry on performance and functionality tests, ensuring that the manufactured components meet
the specifications and objectives.
- To define the safety systems related to the operation of the e-corner.
Start month 8 - End month 27
- To optimize the weight of the wheel and to provide a wheel design that allows enough space to accommodate the components of the e-corner.
- To enable air cooling capacity of the wheel, so that it can be used to cool down the e-corner components.
- To produce and effective eco-design of the wheel, that would meet the performance requirements for the e-corner .
- To manufacture the wheel prototypes which will be used during the wheel testing, e-corner dynamic tests and vehicle testing. These prototypes
will be manufactured in a cost effective way.
- Carry on performance and functionality tests, to evaluate the validity of the wheel design.
- To perform a dismantling and recycling assessment of the wheel.
WP4: Mechanical components
Start month 8 - End month 32
- To analyze how the heat generated by the e-motor, power electronics, brake system and tyre is transmitted to other e-corner mechanical components.
This will enable to set the operational thermo mechanical cycles, for the detail mechanical design of those components.
- To produce an effective eco-design of the mechanical components, in order to meet the performance requirements while ensuring a low cost and large
scale production capability.
- To provide a manufacturing process analysis for each one of the mechanical components.
- To perform an eco-design assessment of the manufacturing processes involved.
- To manufacture the mechanical components.
- To assemble the mechanical components, and to carry on performance and functionality tests.
- To perform a dismantling and recycling assessment of each one of the mechanical components.
WP5: Assembly, validation and demonstration
Start month 21 - End month 36
The main purpose of this WP is to provide the experimental evidences which will ensure that the developed e-corner fulfils the defined specifications
concerning mainly the aspects related to vehicle dynamics and driveability. Other WP sub-objectives are:
- To integrate the EUNICE solution into a functional vehicle. This will enable the execution of the necessary tests in order to demonstrate the
feasibility of the solution.
- To perform dynamic, electrical performance and functionality tests. These validation tests are representative and will cover the most important
operational aspects that the EUNICE solution will address, once operating as the power drive of a vehicle.
- To correlate the results of the validation tests with the EUNICE solution specifications and targets in terms of vehicle efficiency, validating
the models used during the research phase.
- To obtain valuable driving impressions which will yield in optimized specifications for the future distributed tractions concepts.
- To suggest further design improvements, resulting from the validation tests conclusions.
WP6: Exploitation and impact
Start month 1 - End month 36
- To generate an exploitation plan to define the industrialization of the project results.
- To assess the technological impact of the project developments on the participant partners, on the European Community EV automotive industry and
on the Green Car initiative.
- To conclude the patent study, aimed at exploring the possible patents and IPR resulting from the project outcomes.
Start month 1 - End month 36
- To make stakeholders aware of the project and to disseminate the project results.
- To generate plans for the use and dissemination of the knowledge.
- Support of the specifications by more than one OEM will be established through a series of user workshops, which should continue
at regular intervals during the project to assist in dissemination and exploitation.
Start month 1 - End month 36
The aim of this WP is to perform the administrative management of the EUNICE project.